Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Just call me Mr. Grinch....

There was a time in my life that I still depended on my mom to pay for my cell phone. I remember one day that she called and i didn't answer the phone. That was the day I received a message on my voicemail from her that simply stated, " if you do not intend to answer my calls, i do not intend to pay for the phone anymore." This one statement jumpstarted my journey into independence! At the time I was mad and thought I'd show her by getting my own cell phone, which I did, and promptly disconnected the one she was paying for. Since then I have been, for the most part, financially independent.

Now, I have this boyfiend who cannot seem to become financially independent and I am not sure why. Since his cell phone is on my account, would it be wrong to use the same statement once used by my mother? Since he only answers when he wants and has yet to give a dime toward the bill, I feel somewhat justified in doing so. I now know where my mother was coming from. Sometimes, when you love someone and want to see them do well, there are certain things you have to do that may hurt them, in order to help them.....

I don't know if it's the same since the relationships are somewhat different... I guess that's something to think on...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my....didn't realize the impact that call had on your life... not sure if I should be sorry or thankful for the call.

    Sometimes you have to do things for the one you love that are not intended to cause pain, but rather show them how much you truly love them.

    God Bless This Child of Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say absolutely! :-)
    Love can take many forms and sometimes it is the form of "tough love". Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just HAVE to do the hard things in order for the blessings to come later down the road in life.

    Love you,

    ReplyDelete